Friday, March 31, 2006

The problem with cheating.

Dieting and cheating just don't mix, and I should know. See here is the problem. If I don't diet and just eat whatever I want, my body is cool with that. It understands that. I eat what I eat and it does what it does and we get along at around the same weight. (Un)fortunaltey, the result is not the same when I diet. When I diet my body is a little confused for the first few days. It doesn't really know what is going on so it kinda just puts evertyhting on hold untill it can get a good read of the situation. If I stick to my diet and don't cheat, then after a few days my body say, "Ok, Andy is on a diet. Let's go into diet mode! WOOHOO!" and I lose a whole bunch of weight really fast. If I do cheat on my diet then my body just gets more confused and says, "I have no idea what is going on!? I better take everything coming in and store it right away incase this is some kind of emergency and I don't know when I'm going to eat again." So basicaly, If I start a diet and then cheat shortly there after, every calorie turns straight into fat and just sits there, making me weigh more than when I started the diet. Kinda depressing, huh?

So now I'm starting my diet again for the billionth time. The icing on the cake today was when someone I hadn't seen for a few months saw me and said, "Hey! You've gained weight. Did you get married?" and when I made it appear as though I was slightly offended she try to fix it by saying how it looked good on me and how my face was more full and....well...I just had tpcut her off after that. So now I have a banana infront of me and my usual 1 gallon jug of distilled water in the chair behind me. The apple, I've already just eaten. Surprisingly, it was good. I don't normally like red apples. I'm more of a Granny Smith apple kinda guy. Tonight, I'm supposed to go to an Irish pub on the square to meet Sijo and since its one of Barry's favorite places to go, and believe me when I say Barry is not the person you want around you when your trying to go on a diet of any kind because the first thing he will do (unintentionaly ofcourse) is try to pressure you into eating or drinking whatever it is you are trying to avoid...over and over again because he keeps forgeting that your on a diet. He already wants me to try some beer that is served there called "Hobgoblin. " I won't be drinking Hobgoblin. Besides, it probably tastes more like "butt goblin." He has a unique taste for things.

Anyway, let me eat this banana so I'm not hungry later..ha! ya right. I'm going to be starving later, but as long as I can continue to grasp the difference between hunger and cravings, I should be ok. If your hungry, any substance that is healthy will satisfy the hunger. If you have cravings, then that is due to something leaving your body that probably shouldn't have been there in the forst place and in your body's attempt to keep balanace, it is saying it needs more of whatever it is that is leaving the body. That's how addiction works wether its food cravings or drug cravings. Thats why its so hard to quit. The cravings go around your rational thinking, straight to your subconcieus. You could be standing there, saying you don't want that donut. You don't need that donut. That donut is no good for you, and that it will only make you fat if you eat it. Then you pick up the donut and eat it. While even chewing it, you could be telling yourself that you don't need it and shouldn't be eating it, but you do. Afterwards, you understand that you did wrong and have a new strength to say no next time. Well that new strength is there because you just ate the donut, or chocolate, or candy, or sandwhich or whatever it may be and now that craving is gone so your rational thinking is back in control. That's why cravings win. Instinct will win over rational thought and cravings disguise themselves as instinct. It takes will power. It take support from friends and family. Most importantly, it takes avoiding even being near or having access to the things you are dieting from. If they are within reach or moderately close, then when no one is around and its just you and "the shakes" you can and you will break.

That's the problem with cheating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia, United States

26 year old that has lived in the Metro Atlanta area for the past 5 years. I aspire to do many things but normaly just default to doing as little as possible without getting into too much trouble... but it works.

Powered by Blogger

-->