Friday, January 25, 2008

Chronicles: The Awakening (4)

Arrows...
the sounds of battle.
My chest is heavy...
A light flashes before me as I am struck to the ground.
There now stands an angel of such beauty hovering above me.
Where is my heart?
It is so cold.

My eyes open as I gasp for air. The room is still. I lay there in cold sweat. My thick warm blankets and silken sheets are strewn about and kicked on the floor. The one's still wrapped around me are like pythons, heavy with sweat and worked around every limb as if to consume me.

My heart is racing. The only words that can manifest in my lungs are, "I remember."

How long has it been? Years? I can't tell. It has all listed lazily like some dream. Only now do I realize the trap that I was in.

I can see it so vividly now. The day of my so called victory. Standing there with my newly won kingdom before me. I thought the darkness looming on the horizon was the sunset. I should have never let my guard down. The second my sword and shield fell from my grasp, I had doomed myself. Accepting a lie that would keep me from knowing the light of day for all this time.

My sword? Where is my sword? No wait. I must be careful not to cause alarm. These walls. This whole kingdom has eyes. How could I have been so foolish?

I stand up from my bed. So soft and pleasing, I see it now to be only a granite slab. The cold sucking the core of my warmth down into the earth. My sheets of silk and think blankets are gone. There are only the torn rags of enemies long dead.
I am no king. I am a fool. Cold and weak with complacency.

Where is my sword!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia, United States

26 year old that has lived in the Metro Atlanta area for the past 5 years. I aspire to do many things but normaly just default to doing as little as possible without getting into too much trouble... but it works.

Powered by Blogger

-->